The Perth Mint was established as a branch of Britain’s Royal Mint in 1899 as a response to the discovery of rich gold deposits in Western Australia. The Perth Mint was built to refine the mined gold and turn into sovereigns. Between 1899 and 1931 The Perth Mint struck more than 106 million gold sovereigns and nearly 735,000 half sovereigns for use as currency in Australia and throughout the British Empire. The mint stopped making gold sovereigns when Britain abandoned the gold standard in 1931 but the refinery remained busy as they focused on making fine gold bullion bars and then copper coins for the Commonwealth Treasury in Canberra.
In 1970 the ownership transferred from Britain’s jurisdiction to the State Government of Western Australia. The mint then began moving toward a new direction, minting gold, silver, and platinum Australian legal tender coinage for investors and collectors worldwide including beautiful proof quality collector coins. In 2003, the Perth Mint officially opened an 8,400 square metre state of the art manufacturing facility right next door to the original facility.
There are no products matching the selection.